[Standards] [UPDATED] XEP-0313: Message Archive Management

Valérian Saliou valerian at valeriansaliou.name
Mon Aug 5 09:43:32 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

After a chat yesterday with Matthew Wild (MattJ) and Kim Alvefur (Zash) on the Prosody chatroom (prosody at conference.prosody.im) about the state of the MAM XEP and its Prosody implementation; I decided to update the XEP draft with what I/we thought was missing.

I released a local v0.3 of the XEP, featuring:

- Ability to retrieve preferences
- Preferences push to all connected resources when updated by a client (as done in XEP-0016: Privacy Lists)
- Ability to purge all or some archived messages (given a filter similar to the one used for retrieval)

The updated, browser viewable XEP doc is available there: https://demo.frenchtouch.pro/valerian.saliou/xmpp/extensions/xep-0313.html

Before submitting the updated XEP XML doc, I'd like to get some inputs of what's the point of view of the community on those updates.

After (and if) these changes go mainstream, we will rework the Prosody's mod_mam, and finally implement it in Jappix (after dropping support for the old, flawed and too complex XEP-0136: Message Archiving).

Cheers,

--

Valérian Saliou

Jappix & FrenchTouch Web Agency founder.
Uno IM product lead.

More about me on my personal page.