[Standards] Fwd: Radical Solution for remote participants

Bernard Aboba bernard.aboba at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 22:51:57 UTC 2013

Part of why the requirements discussions don't seem to converge is that
remote participation in physical meetings encounters a number of issues,
each of could require a substantial effort to resolve.

However, while this is a "target rich environment", at the most basic
level, the goals were stated by Randy Bush a while ago:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.vmeet/127

Approaches to conferencing and bridge control based on XMPP (as well as
SIP) are described here:
http://www.kamailio.org/events/2013-KamailioWorld/14-Emil.Ivov-Jitsi.pdf

For example, for bridge setup and control,
https://jitsi.org/Projects/JitsiVideobridge  suggests:

"the video organizer, or in other words, the party that sets up a call
through a video bridge, controls and uses the video bridge with the COLIBRI
protocol (COnferences with LIghtweight BRIdging). COLIBRI is an open XMPP
extension protocol designed by the Jitsi development team. It allows the
conference organiser to allocate channels for everyone add or remove
participants, and generally remain informed of the call state. All this
happens transparently for the user. "