[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0220 (Server Dialback)

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Wed Aug 21 18:06:39 UTC 2013

Am 21.08.2013 19:51, schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:
> On 8/21/13 11:47 AM, Philipp Hancke wrote:
>> Am 21.08.2013 18:01, schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Really old thread alert. :-)
>>
>> Old enough that my print copy which I recently dug out is starting to
>> fall apart :-)
>> [...]
>>> I propose that we make the following change to XEP-0220 in Section 2.1.1:
>>>
>>> OLD
>>> Naturally, the Initiating Server can also enable or negotiate other
>>> stream features at this point, such as Stream Compression [9] and Stream
>>> Management [10].
>>>
>>> NEW
>>> Naturally, the Initiating Server can also enable or negotiate other
>>> stream features at this point.
>>
>> I'd actually expect stream features to be negotiated before any real
>> stanzas flow, not mid-session and such text might allow this.
>
> This = mid-session stream feature negotiation?

Yes. Basically I would expect all stream feature negotiation to happen
immediately in response to <stream:features/>. Not after doing something
else (like dialback).

I do not think that the receiving server would enforce such a rule
however. And we have just removed two features that would have required
a stream restart, which is certainly a bad idea mid-session, so no
objection from me.

[...]
>> http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc6120.html#streams-negotiation-flowchart
>> doesn't return from DONE
>
> Erratum reports are always welcome. ;-)

No, I think that the flowchart makes sense. We might want to keep this
discussion in mind for 6120bis though.