[Standards] Vcard4 implementation in Movim

Jaussoin Timothée edhelas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 07:28:06 UTC 2013

Le 13/08/2013 20:17, Valérian Saliou a écrit :
> Hey,
>

> The transition to vCard4 could be made possible by having one single
> vCard module that would handle both the legacy vcard-temp and the
> newest vCard4. The module would put an abstraction layer over the
> legacy vCard thing so that it can handle/serve the set/get for
> vcard-temp also, while storing and managing database vCard data as if
> it was all-vCard4.
>
> Then, the clients still storing vcard-temp (that said, all the clients
> available as of today - except OneSocialWeb and probably BuddyCloud),
> would not have to be updated so that the vCard4 compatible clients can
> retrieve the proper/new vCard4 of an user only storing vcard-temp.
>
> We are really looking forward to implementing vCard4 XEP in Jappix,
> too - as we work closely with the Movim team!
>
> We can also look into making such an hybrid Prosody/Metronome module
> to handle that idea.
>

> Cheers,
>
> --
>
> *Valérian Saliou*
>
> Jappix <https://jappix.com/> & FrenchTouch Web Agency
> <http://frenchtouch.pro/> founder.
> Uno IM <https://uno.im/> product lead.
>
> /More about me on my personal page <http://valeriansaliou.name/>./
>
> On Aug 13, 2013, at 7:01 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im
> <mailto:stpeter at stpeter.im>> wrote:
>
>> On 8/13/13 8:01 AM, Jaussoin Timothée wrote:
>>> Hi !
>>>
>>> I see that the XEP-0292 has been deffered but I think that XMPP really
>>> need a descent and modenr vCard support
>>
>> I completely agree, which is why I authored XEP-0292.
>>
>> IMHO it needs only a few small fixes (the XSLT is incomplete). I will
>> commit to updating it by the end of August.
>>
>>> so I will implement the XEP in
>>> Movim using the PEP specification.
>>
>> That's great news! Please send any implementation feedback to this list.
>>
>>> We really need to forget vcard-temp now and go ahead.
>>
>> +1 :-)
>>
>>> If you are an XMPP developers I invite you to do the same :)
>>>
>>> I don't think that there's any change to do server-side ? It's just a
>>> simple PEP node for me. Can you confirm this (or not) ?
>>
>> For the IQ-based storage, some server-side changes would be needed.
>> However, as I understand it many server implementations don't use
>> vcard-temp as the native data storage format anyway (or, if they did,
>> they could run vcard-temp data through a corrected and complete XSLT to
>> serve up vCard4 data). Maybe I need to work on this for Prosody... ;-)
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> --
>> Peter Saint-Andre
>> https://stpeter.im/

Hi !

Maybe we can change the vcard-temp XEP status to deffered, update the
vCard4 XEP to only keep the PEP part (I see that in this XEP there's two
way to set the vCard, a simple PEP node and a weird IQ/vcard-temp like way).

We can also try to clean all the existents avatar/vcards XEP to keep a
simple "unique way" to implement all theses things.

Tim