[Standards] Fwd: RFC 7081 on CUSAX: Combined Use of the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP)

Graham King graham at gkgk.org
Tue Dec 3 01:03:55 UTC 2013

On 13-12-02 04:24 PM, Evgeny Khramtsov wrote:
> Mon, 02 Dec 2013 13:53:46 -0700
> Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>
>> This document suggests some strategies for the combined use of the
>> Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the Extensible Messaging and
>> Presence Protocol (XMPP) both in user-oriented clients and in
>> deployed servers.
>
> Do we really need this? It seems like SIP usage is totally limited to
> VoIP hardware and other usages exist in theory only.
>
> I personally stopped any attempts in making SIP interoperable with XMPP
> as this is mostly a waste of a time.

We're a team of six, currently building a SIP and XMPP server in Go. It's just IM, no VOIP. We're replacing Microsoft LCS (SIP/SIMPLE), and gradually migrating to XMPP. There will be a significant overlap of SIP users on a proprietary desktop client, and XMPP / BOSH users in a webapp, who need to talk to each other including in chatrooms. So for us at least, it's not entirely theoretical :-)