[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: User Time Zone

Lance Stout lancestout at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 20:15:59 UTC 2013

> It is, but I have often wanted to put something along the lines of "Steve is in Califonia, he is 8 hours behind you".

Yep, implementing that feature was the impetus for this. Right now I'm using Entity Time queries to do it, but that can quickly cause iq floods, and only the time zone offset is actually useful in most cases.

I hadn't thought to extend user location for this since they seemed distinct in my head. I have several cases where I would only know the tzo and not a location.

Does it make sense to publish my location as just UTC-08:00? If people think so, I'd be ok proposing this as an update to xep-80 instead.

Lance