[Standards] [Operators] Future of XMPP Re: The Google issue

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Dec 4 22:55:39 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM, Peter Waher <Peter.Waher at clayster.com>wrote:

>  XEP-0322 (EXI) contains two methods of using EXI-compressed XML in pure
> binary form, i.e. not base-64 encoded. The first method contains a
> handshake mechanism where a normal XMPP session is converted to pure binary
> using EXI (including quick setup), and another mechanism which is EXI from
> the start, i.e. no text XML is sent/received.

The mention of base64 (or not) in this instance was referring to the way a
schema-aware EXI encoder will strip off the base64 from values which are
declared as such in the XML schema, as I understand things, such as a
hypothetical attribute value here:

<foo attr='BLAHBLAHBL=='/>

the attribute here in base64 would not be in base64 in EXI serialization.

Feel free to correct me if I'm off the mark.

> Having said that, some defense of XML: Using XML (either serialized as
> text or serialized as efficient binary using EXI) has some exceptional
> benefits, among other things its extensibility and interoperability. Being
> able to use standardized techniques for validation (schemas), version
> control and transformations (XSLT), searching (XPATH) etc. is a further
> plus. There are many attempts to create “simpler” forms of communication
> using for instance JSON, etc. But what is “simple” in the short term is not
> necessarily what is simple in the long term, especially if you want to
> create an interoperable infrastructure where myriads of service providers
> share common networks and supposedly integrate with each other, taking into
> account versions, contracts, etc. Making it too simple now, might end up
> bury you in the end.

There are designs for JSON schemas and JSON namespacing around, and even
query languages too I think. For all I know there's an XSLT clone for JSON.

In my opinion, these are classic examples of trying to make everything look
like a nail - if you need all that kind of stuff, you probably need XML.

Dave.