[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: User Time Zone

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Thu Dec 5 10:28:04 UTC 2013

Hello,

I hope the following message of mine is productive to this thread.

On Wed, 4 Dec 2013 13:15:59 -0700
Lance Stout <lancestout at gmail.com> wrote:

> > It is, but I have often wanted to put something along the lines of
> > "Steve is in Califonia, he is 8 hours behind you".
>
> Yep, implementing that feature was the impetus for this. Right now
> I'm using Entity Time queries to do it, but that can quickly cause iq
> floods, and only the time zone offset is actually useful in most
> cases.

If floods are of concern, there may be a note saying that sending
frequent IQ stanzas of timezone element is to be made when user is
activating an option such as "roaming mode" in XMPP client or mobile
telephone, yet, maybe, because of this potential (and expected?) flood,
a separate XEP would be a better approach, since, I assume, it would
be more manageable.

> I hadn't thought to extend user location for this since they seemed
> distinct in my head. I have several cases where I would only know the
> tzo and not a location.
>
> Does it make sense to publish my location as just UTC-08:00?

Do you mean that neither data of latitude nor longitude is available?

> If people think so, I'd be ok proposing this as an update to xep-80
> instead.

If I understood you correctly, then yes, I think an update for XEP-0080
would be the appropriate thing to do; I could be wrong.

Alternatively, remove timezone element from XEP-0080 and implement it
in the newly proposed User Time Zone XEP.