[Standards] Request for Comments: XEP: Tables in Instant Messaging

Peter Waher Peter.Waher at clayster.com
Fri Dec 13 14:29:22 UTC 2013

Hello Sergey

Thanks for your question. The relation to XHTML-IM is twofold. First, it was my first suggestion to use XHTML-IM as a means to send tables. Example:
http://twitpic.com/djrq2a

But the general consensus in the group was that using XHTML-IM for tables was not the preferred option. Instead it would be better to have another XEP detailing how to send tables between IM-clients. So, this XEP does not specify how to send tables in XHTML-IM (as it is actually forbidden, unless an extension is made and the entire XHTML tables module is implemented). However, the XEP mentions this can be done, but not that it should be done. It also foresees the possibility that this will change and details how clients should prioritize XHTML-IM vs. tables as detailed in this XEP.

Secondly, the second relation to XHTML-IM is the ability to embed XHTML-IM in cells in the table.

Did this answer your question?

Best regards,
Peter Waher