[Standards] Request for Comments: XEP: Tables in Instant Messaging

Peter Waher Peter.Waher at clayster.com
Fri Dec 13 14:39:42 UTC 2013

Hello Dave

Thanks for your question. Even though result sets as these (containing data records in tabular form) can be returned as results to queries using data forms, there are several differences, some of which are:

*         It's a result to a query, not a chat message. So it's not clear for a client how to present it in a chat session.

*         It relates to a previous data form, defining fields and values. The natural response to such a message is to display the table in a separate (search) results window.

*         It only contains data, not formatting important when presenting tables (alignments, and simple styles like fonts, colors, etc.)

*         It does not allow for segmentation, i.e. breaking up into several messages.

The goal is to be able to do something like this:
http://twitpic.com/djrq2a/full

And avoid problems with tabulations inherent in normal text:
http://twitpic.com/djmor4/full

Best regards,
Peter Waher