[Standards] 301 feedback

Gunnar Hellstrom gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Tue Jul 2 18:45:30 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-02 20:28, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> On 7/2/13 11:46 AM, Mark Rejhon wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Kevin Smith <kevin at kismith.co.uk
>> <mailto:kevin at kismith.co.uk>> wrote:
>>
>> 4.2.2  - I'm aware than we've had debates in the past about how
>> much needs to be MTI. As things currently stand, the XEP is fairly
>> clear and straightforward, and I wonder if making all of these MTI
>> would be
>>

>> MTI?
> MTI = "Mandatory to Implement"
>
> I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think Kev might be
> wondering why guidelines that seem implementation-specific are
> mandated in the specification, since it could be argued that they are
> not critical from a protocol perspective and relate more to user
> experience than to network communication.
I have another set of words to put in Kev's mouth.

I think Kev meant that all shall be required to support.
In a straightforward protocol, having options just increases risks for
malfunctions and interop problems.

On recipient side it might be a good idea, but mandating support on
sender side does not make sense.
Some specific applications simply do not need to send all these.

I hope Kev can explain now which interpretation was right.

Gunnar