[Standards] DEFERRED: XEP-0215 (External Service Discovery)

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Mon Jul 8 17:59:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 6/12/13 11:23 AM, Philipp Hancke wrote:
>> old thread alert...
>> Am 18.02.2011 17:37, schrieb XMPP Extensions Editor:
>>> XEP-0215 (External Service Discovery) has been Deferred because
>>> of inactivity.
>>
>> Oh, I wrote a prosody module for this recently, covering the stuff
>> in 3.1 (and 3.3 when time permits me to clean things up a litte).
>> Primary use-case was handing out time-limited turn credentials for
>> webrtc clients. Works like charm, also for provisioning stun.
>
> Yes, that was the idea.

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-uberti-rtcweb-turn-rest-00.txt describes it
fully. Ignore the "REST" part, XEP-0215 solves way more usecases (such as
deploying stun servers, removing servers going down for maintenance via
services push, ...)

>> One remark: Having a format which uses the same terminology as
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/webrtc/#rtciceserver-type (url, credential and
>> due to recent consensus username) would be handy, but as long as
>> there is a straightforward mapping...
>
> There were no 'stun' or 'turn' URIs back in 2007. :-) If there's a URI
> scheme available, as there is now for STUN and TURN, I suppose you can
> put the type, host, and port in one string. But what do we do if we
> want to advertise external services for which no URI scheme exists
> (say, a SOCK5 Bytestreams proxy or a Jingle Nodes service)?
>
>> As far as I'm concerned this could go to draft without any
>> changes.
>
> Cool.

Is the attached patch a sufficient reason to update this, getting it back
to experimental and then to draft? :-)

And guess what, there is even a prosody module for this.