[Standards] XMPP URI usage in "HTTP over XMPP"

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Jul 10 04:14:14 UTC 2013

<hat type='registrar'/>

On 7/9/13 9:53 PM, Peter Waher wrote:
> Hello Ralph
>
> Thanks for your mail. You're absolutely correct. It was sloppy of me
> to propose a URI scheme with the same name as the previous xmpp
> scheme. I'm sorry.
>
> I've therefore renamed the scheme to httpx (§4.3.1.1 ff). This URI
> scheme is through to work seamlessly with existing applications,
> without requiring changing the web applications themselves (except if
> full URL's including schemes are used inside the application).

Defining a new URI scheme is not an effort to be taken lightly. Please
see RFC 4395, in particular Section 2.1:

   The use and deployment of new URI schemes in the Internet
   infrastructure is costly; some parts of URI processing may be
   scheme-dependent, and deployed software already processes URIs of
   well-known schemes.  Introducing a new URI scheme may require
   additional software, not only for client software and user agents but
   also in additional parts of the network infrastructure (gateways,
   proxies, caches) [11].  URI schemes constitute a single, global
   namespace; it is desirable to avoid contention over use of short,
   mnemonic scheme names.  For these reasons, the unbounded registration
   of new schemes is harmful.  New URI schemes SHOULD have clear utility
   to the broad Internet community, beyond that available with already
   registered URI schemes.

Does your proposal pass that test?

> I've also added an URI Scheme Registration Template to the document
> (§8.1), as per BCP 35, that we can mail to IANA to register the new
> provisional URI scheme,

I appreciate the fact that you appear to be saying that the XMPP
Registrar would coordinate with the IANA here, rather than having you
contact the IANA directly. These inter-SDO things are best handled that
way, and this is also XSF policy:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0053.html#iana

> when the XSF has approved the proposal and
> moved it to experimental.

The XMPP Registrar will most definitely *not* register a new URI scheme
with the IANA when a XEP is merely published as Experimental. Instead,
the Registrar will do so only when the XEP is advanced to Draft in the
XSF's standards process, so that we can make sure the registration
reflects community consensus. This too is consistent with XSF policy:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0053.html#registries

Peter, as XMPP Registrar

https://stpeter.im/