[Standards] Heml.is and federation..

Ralph Meijer ralphm at ik.nu
Fri Jul 12 20:42:52 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-12 20:56, Steffen Larsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just stumbled upon https://heml.is, which is a new XMPP client for IOS and Android. Anyone knows these guys?
>
> It uses XMPP and PGP for encryption, but do any of you guys know if they federate?.. What I can see from skimming their page, its yet another silo, due to the fact of PGP and their own infrastructure.
> So federation and using your own domain does not seem feasible, right? Anyone want to discuss this and the alternatives besides OTR? Security labels?
>
> When I see something like this I get exited to start with because I actually want something like this on the client/server part, but then later on gets down to earth when it seems out of the standards. Or is it just me?

I think the most interesting aspect of projects like this is the
addition of some form of end-to-end encryption. If you want to be
involved in an effort like this, I strongly recommend you get on the
IETF XMPP WG mailing list and discuss Matt Miller's draft [1].

This is basically the result of several attempts to standardize e2s
encryption for XMPP. It needs more eyes, implementations and feedback.

[1] <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-miller-xmpp-e2e-06>

--
ralphm