[Standards] XEP-280 and MUC private chats

Mathieu Pasquet mathieui at mathieui.net
Tue Jul 23 22:15:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 01:02:36PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 7/14/13 1:13 PM, Mathieu Pasquet wrote:

> >> Could you disco any unknown JIDs to see if they're users or MUCs?
> >>
> >> /K
> >
> > Yeah, that’s what I went with (I had forgotten about it at the moment of
> > writing that email).
> >
> > I think the XEP should indicate such a behavior, as a client developer
> > might forget about this case.
>
> Sounds like a positive addition. It would be good to advance this spec
> to Draft sometime. Do you have any other feedback?

No, I don’t have anything to add, apart from this issue it was quite
straightforward to implement.

> > Or even better, maybe the server could perform that disco, although I
> > get that making changes to already-deployed implementations might be
> > painful.
>
> How would it work for the server to perform service discovery on your
> behalf? (BTW, you don't need to send the disco request if you're using
> entity capabilities / XEP-0115.)

That was only an idea, but after thinking about it, it would be quite
bad to have the server perform such a query on behalf on the user.

Of course, the disco info is only useful if we never got any presence
and caps from the other user (if we did, then it’s not a MUC in any
case).

--
Mathieu Pasquet (mathieui)