[Standards] XEP-0084: User Avatar and Different Sized Images

Simon Tennant simon at buddycloud.com
Wed Jul 24 10:19:57 UTC 2013

I read in the spec that:

*It is intended that this specification will supersede both IQ-Based
Avatars<http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0008.html>[
6 <http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0084.html#nt-id208472>] and vCard-Based
Avatars <http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0153.html>
[7<http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0084.html#nt-id208494>]
once the PEP subset of XMPP publish-subscribe is implemented and deployed
widely enough.*

One of the reasons I never turn on vCard support for servers is that it
opens up a can of worms -

- a user fills out their vCard or edits their Avatar and drags over a photo
of themselves that is 7MB.
- another user's phone client is now stuck trying to download a huge image
- likewise, as a server admin I can't set an upper bound on the image size.

S.

--
Simon Tennant | buddycloud.com | +49 17 8545 0880 | office hours:
goo.gl/tQgxP