[Standards] Suggestions for updates to XEP-0071: XHTML-IM

Peter Waher Peter.Waher at clayster.com
Wed Nov 6 12:41:26 UTC 2013

Hello Ralph

>> What could be required is to support the markup (and not reject the
>> XHTML as a whole), and either be able to render a small subset or use
>> a valid fallback mechanism (as that explained in Example 8 in the extension).
>
>The fallback mechanism is already well-defined and required by section 12.2.

Yes, I know there's a fallback mechanism defined, but I believe when it comes to tables that fallback mechanism might be unfortunate: First it would join cell contents. Some spacing or separation between cells horizontally would be in order (even though column margins cannot be maintained). And a <br/> between rows would also be necessary to make sure different rows in the table end up on different rows in the output.

Best regards
Peter Waher