[Standards] Suggestions for updates to XEP-0071: XHTML-IM

Ralph Meijer ralphm at ik.nu
Wed Nov 6 13:09:41 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-06 13:41, Peter Waher wrote:
> Hello Ralph
>
>>> What could be required is to support the markup (and not reject the
>>> XHTML as a whole), and either be able to render a small subset or use
>>> a valid fallback mechanism (as that explained in Example 8 in the extension).
>>
>> The fallback mechanism is already well-defined and required by section 12.2.
>
> Yes, I know there's a fallback mechanism defined, but I believe when it comes to tables that fallback mechanism might be unfortunate: First it would join cell contents. Some spacing or separation between cells horizontally would be in order (even though column margins cannot be maintained). And a <br/> between rows would also be necessary to make sure different rows in the table end up on different rows in the output.

I guess those are the breaks. Either you support tables, or you don't.
Of course clients supporting tables might need to do suboptimal
rendering (e.g. terminal-based clients), but that doesn't count as a
fallback mechanism, to me. I'd rather not specify how tables are
rendered in clients at all.

--
ralphm