[Standards] Event Logging over XMPP

Peter Waher Peter.Waher at clayster.com
Sun Nov 10 15:43:55 UTC 2013

Hello Yusuke

Thanks for our input. I'll answer your comments one at a time:

> I think it could be beneficial to aligned with existing logging facilities in mind. A 'formal' choice is netconf/netmod in IETF. In practice, there are many frameworks built over JSON.

Yes, I know JSON is popular, mainly because there are many applications written in JavaScript or similar script languages. It doesn't mean it is automatically a good idea to use it over XMPP though. (Same discussion can be used using binary payloads, since many frameworks use binary proprietary protocols they want transported over XMPP.)

XML has many features that are very nice: Plugability and versioning using namespaces, validation (schema), swearch (xpath) and transformations/conversions (xslt).

> 'logging' is a too broad word I think. What framework/logging facilities in your mind?

I was thinking of network/admin logging, for instance like or based on Syslog semantics (also IETF). Could be used to log events of interest to system administrators, network architects, etc. Can also be used to find problems or learn how IoT networks based on XMPP work.

Best regards,
Peter Waher