[Standards] Event Logging over XMPP

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 15:48:27 UTC 2013

On 10 November 2013 14:37, Peter Waher <Peter.Waher at clayster.com> wrote:
> I would prefer not to use JSON as I want to include this in resource
> constrained environments. They already have sufficient problems implementing
> XML parsers, and to include JSON parses as well (for no apparent reason)
> would just be a waste of precious bytes in a small device. Furthermore,
> using JSON is like check-mating the entire idea by using XML in XMPP in the
> first place: plugability using namespaces, easy to validate (schema), search
> (XPath) and version handling and transformations (XSLT). I understand
> javascript clients are fond of JSON, but as a protocol to send tagged and
> interoperable data, I would choose XML.

I (personally, and as author of the JSON container XEP), agree
completely. Although I like the idea of re-using an existing
protocol's semantics (and Logstash's might be good here), I think the
goal was "logging over XMPP" not "logstash over XMPP". I think (and
hope) such a XEP would be used for more than just systems
communicating with logstash. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect
integrations with any existing logging systems to require a small
amount of code to transform log messages into the format required by
the XEP.

Regards,
Matthew