[Standards] Proposal: Event logging over XMPP

Peter Waher Peter.Waher at clayster.com
Sun Nov 10 19:31:06 UTC 2013

Hello all

First of all: Thank you to everybody providing both input and an interest. It is clear the need for an extension in this area is missing and both wanted and needed.

So I took the opportunity to write a first proposal based on all your comments and on our past experience as well, on how such an event logging extension could look like (attached). I've made sure Syslog events can be mapped onto such event log messages (being a standard and all), but extended it a bit to provide for things lacking in Syslog as well as adapting it to the world of XML where new possibilities exist.

The extension is made so that it can be used both by those who only want to send simple text events and by those who want to have a more controlled way of sending data (including data and types). Hopefully this is a good compromise. But as with all compromises, it has the possibility to offend people in both camps...

What do you think? If you have any questions, comments or suggestions please don't hesitate to mail them.

Best regards,
Peter Waher