[Standards] Proposal: Event logging over XMPP

Steffen Larsen zooldk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 21:30:56 UTC 2013

On 10 Nov 2013, at 22:21, Mike Taylor <bear at bear.im> wrote:

> On 11/10/2013 02:58 PM, Steffen Larsen wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> First of all great work and perfect to bring this up.. I’ve done
>> this a while now, but haven’t brought it to a broader audience.
>> thumbs up!
>
> indeed, good job and +1 for this
>
>> So here is my first 50 cent on the doc:
>>
>> Cool stuff with the tags.. This I can tel you will be valuable for
>> many people. I use these kind of tags all the time to piggy back
>> stuff, that could be valuable in the context.
>>
>> I don’t like the tag “event”. I think it should be <log> tag
>> instead, no to confuse anybody. I have made several custom XMPP
>> components and client where they have event tag embedded, which
>> have a completely different meaning and context.
>
> I also think that "event" is a bit too broad of a term here and would
> prefer "log" or even “eventlog"

+1 absolutely agree

>> Type and Level? I think its too complicated. Only level should be
>> present and with fewer clases.. Debug, Info, Notice… is way too
>> much. People tend to misuse and not think when they have a lot of
>> choices. :-)
>
> I also think that this may be too many options and would prefer to see
> Level limited to a smaller set and have Type removed completely as it
> could be implemented as Tags.

Yes, limit it to Level and maybe only use debug, info, warning, error and critical.
This is enough details.. Seen way to many systems trying to make it even more fine-grained and they failed miserable - because it is hard to understand as a human.. if e.g Alert is worse than Critical etc.. So people tend to misuse them.. So lets stick to few (5’ish) levels or so.

> I do love that you've chosen to use words instead of numbers to
> represent the levels.

+1, ohh yes

> Another item I wanted to bring up is can we just remove timezone
> worries completely and say "use UTC and only UTC"? IMO it is a best
> practice and would avoid the whole TZ issue (yea, yea, I know this one
> is going to be a long shot ;)

Yes could be an idea,,

> thanks!
>

>> -Cheers! /Steffen
>>
>> On 10 Nov 2013, at 20:31, Peter Waher <Peter.Waher at clayster.com
>> <mailto:Peter.Waher at clayster.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all
>>>
>>> First of all: Thank you to everybody providing both input and an
>>> interest. It is clear the need for an extension in this area is
>>> missing and both wanted and needed.
>>>
>>> So I took the opportunity to write a first proposal based on all
>>> your comments and on our past experience as well, on how such an
>>> event logging extension could look like (attached). I’ve made
>>> sure Syslog events can be mapped onto such event log messages
>>> (being a standard and all), but extended it a bit to provide for
>>> things lacking in Syslog as well as adapting it to the world of
>>> XML where new possibilities exist.
>>>
>>> The extension is made so that it can be used both by those who
>>> only want to send simple text events and by those who want to
>>> have a more controlled way of sending data (including data and
>>> types). Hopefully this is a good compromise. But as with all
>>> compromises, it has the possibility to offend people in both
>>> camps…
>>>
>>> What do you think? If you have any questions, comments or
>>> suggestions please don’t hesitate to mail them.
>>>
>>> Best regards, Peter Waher
>>>
>>> <xep-0000-EventLog.html>
>>

> - --
>
> bear
> xmpp agitator; ops curmudgeon; generalist
> http://bear.im/about
> http://bear.im/pubkey.txt
> 0A93 9BA7 8203 FCBC 58A9 E8B5 9D1E 0661 8EE5 B4D8

/Steffen