[Standards] Suggestions for updates to XEP-0071: XHTML-IM

Peter Waher Peter.Waher at clayster.com
Sun Nov 10 21:39:11 UTC 2013

Hello Matthew

Thanks for your comments. Some responses below:

>On 10 November 2013 15:37, Peter Waher <Peter.Waher at clayster.com> wrote:
>> Having said that, do you feel there’s an interest in implementing
>> support for a XEP sending table messages that is not based on XHTML-IM?
>
>If your goal is just sending XHTML in a context that isn't IM, why not just do that?

Well, it is actually in the context of IM, if you by IM mean chat. It's in the context of human-to-machine chat, where for instance you ask a device for a readout or execute a command and return a response, all from a chat client.

> You're already breaking interop with IM clients, so there is little to gain by trying to shoe-horn your requirements into XHTML-IM.

On the contrary I would say. If extending existing extensions would "break interoperability", that would happen a lot.

I'm searching for the easiest way to make an extension enabling simple tables. My thought was that the simplest way (for IM client developers) was to perform add this extension through XHTML-IM. Perhaps that is not so?

Would you prefer an extension dedicated to sending tabular data only?

If that is the general consensus, I can write and propose such an extension.

Best regards,
Peter Waher