[Standards] Suggestions for updates to XEP-0071: XHTML-IM

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 23:36:17 UTC 2013

On 10 November 2013 21:39, Peter Waher <Peter.Waher at clayster.com> wrote:
> Hello Matthew
>
> Thanks for your comments. Some responses below:
>
>>On 10 November 2013 15:37, Peter Waher <Peter.Waher at clayster.com> wrote:
>>> Having said that, do you feel there’s an interest in implementing
>>> support for a XEP sending table messages that is not based on XHTML-IM?
>>
>>If your goal is just sending XHTML in a context that isn't IM, why not just do that?
>
> Well, it is actually in the context of IM, if you by IM mean chat. It's in the context of human-to-machine chat, where for instance you ask a device for a readout or execute a command and return a response, all from a chat client.

Ok, I misunderstood then. Sorry.

>> You're already breaking interop with IM clients, so there is little to gain by trying to shoe-horn your requirements into XHTML-IM.
>
> On the contrary I would say. If extending existing extensions would "break interoperability", that would happen a lot.

I agree that ideally you want tables in XHTML-IM for your use-case.

> I'm searching for the easiest way to make an extension enabling simple tables. My thought was that the simplest way (for IM client developers) was to perform add this extension through XHTML-IM. Perhaps that is not so?

It probably is, from a protocol perspective. I don't know if it is,
from an implementation perspective, very simple. It depends what
clients are using to render XHTML-IM today, and whether they support
tables.

> Would you prefer an extension dedicated to sending tabular data only?

That seems overkill to me in this case. Perhaps we could just push for
(carefully) relaxing the restrictions in XEP-0071 that you feel
prevents you from sending tables?

The downside with this approach is that, although you could start
sending tables today and be compliant, unless tables are documented
somewhere then they won't ever be implemented in clients.

> If that is the general consensus, I can write and propose such an extension.

Are there any other things you find lacking in XEP-0071? If so,
perhaps some "Extended XHTML-IM" XEP would be in order?

Regards,
Matthew