[Standards] Updated XEP: Event Logging over XMPP

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Nov 11 10:51:11 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Peter Waher <Peter.Waher at clayster.com>wrote:

>  Thanks again for all feedback. It was a great response, and I’ve
> received very good input. I’ve made several corrections as I mentioned in
> previous mails. Here I’ve attached the latest version, together with XML
> and schema files, for insertion into the XSF inbox, and also added an
> appropriate acknowledgement section.

FWIW, I have a considerable preference for "event" over "log". A log is a
permanent record of events, and you'll note that the literature on logging
refers to events. In fact, the protoXEP uses that term of art throughout.

Second, I think the "message" attribute should be a child element, with the
message as content.

I think what's needed overall is to map RFC 5424 into XML, and allow
extension in roughly the same way that we extend stanza and stream errors.
So what you'd get would be the RFC 5424 HEADER construct as a containing
event element, and it would contain detail as either a <structured/>
element with a sd-id attribute, or a <message/> element.

I'd personally drop in facility and severity into the event element itself,
because virtually everything uses those instead of PRI, but still.

The result looks roughly like:

<event lots-of-attributes>
  { <message>A message here</message> | <structured
</event>

As far as transport, I really think that any logging source ought to expose
itself as XEP-0060, but I could be wrong there.

Dave.