[Standards] e2e privacy for XMPP Re: RFC 3923 (e2e with S/MIME) and OpenPGP

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Tue Nov 19 19:56:18 UTC 2013

[...]
>> Having no federation at least doesn't introduce yet another
>> huge possibility for security problems and as long as you own the source
>> code and aren't forced to use anybody's specific offering it is highly
>> inadeguate to call such a software a silo.
>
> In case others are not yet aware: #youbroketheinternet is not only
> explicitly opposed to federation but not even interested in
> interoperability with federated communication networks.

There is the hypothesis that any federated network tends to cluster
around a number of large nodes. E.g. for XMPP this would be gmail,
jabber.org, jabber.ccc.de (applause to their efforts on making
themselves unreliable!), ...
Interdomain federation is hard, especially delivering the same user
experience as between users on the same domain.

I understand the rationale. I just don't agree with it.