[Standards] e2e privacy for XMPP Re: RFC 3923 (e2e with S/MIME) and OpenPGP

Hannes Tschofenig hannes.tschofenig at gmx.net
Tue Nov 19 20:04:05 UTC 2013

Am 19.11.13 20:56, schrieb Philipp Hancke:
> [...]
>>> Having no federation at least doesn't introduce yet another
>>> huge possibility for security problems and as long as you own the source
>>> code and aren't forced to use anybody's specific offering it is highly
>>> inadeguate to call such a software a silo.
>>
>> In case others are not yet aware: #youbroketheinternet is not only
>> explicitly opposed to federation but not even interested in
>> interoperability with federated communication networks.
>
> There is the hypothesis that any federated network tends to cluster
> around a number of large nodes. E.g. for XMPP this would be gmail,
> jabber.org, jabber.ccc.de (applause to their efforts on making
> themselves unreliable!), ...
> Interdomain federation is hard, especially delivering the same user
> experience as between users on the same domain.
>
> I understand the rationale. I just don't agree with it.

I don't agree with it either.

What you end up having is silos that typically consist of proprietary
technology with limited usability for the wider Internet user community.

The benefits of XMPP are interoperability, the open standards process,
and the large number of XMPP providers you can choose from. If you don't
like one located in the US then pick it from some other country. If
don't like any of them setup your own.