[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Internet of Things - Discovery

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Tue Apr 1 21:34:08 UTC 2014

Hi Peter,

>> section 3.3.1 describes how to find an xmpp servers. The methods described there aren't limited to iot (at least the dhcp one), so it might be a good idea to split them off. Not sure how useful that is however.
>
> Ok. Can we break this out at a later stage? I agree it makes sense to have §3.3 in a separate XEP. But can we wait with this until Experimental phase, when it is more complete and we have experimented with it a bit?

Works for me.

>> section 3.4:
>> I don't think IBR should be recommended anymore.
>
> IoT requires automatic account creation. However, I agree it must also be secure, from the point of view of the server administrator, especially if servers are publically available. I will post a separate XEP soon, that provides a secure in-band registration mechanism that can be used by things.
>
>> section 3.5:
>> I would recommend moving the discovery to standard disco#items and to use components (xep-0114) -- those are not much harder to write than standard clients and have many advantages in terms of managability.
>
> Note sure here how this relates to 3.5. Was it a particular step you referred to?

Basically I'd like to see the method #3 in 3.5 as the one and only way
to do it, with examples. Basically a slightly expanded version of the
"determining support" section:
disco#items to the server
then disco#info to each item to look for something which has a
urn:xmpp:iot:discovery.

xep-0114 style components are just a very convenient way to do this in
most server implementation, but I assumed that you had implemented this
using a registry which was running over c2s. So I mixed up
implementation comments and protocol comments :-/

I don't have a strong opinion whether that should be done before
accepting it or afterwards. Might be handy to pretend the other methods
never existed.

>> Having hardcoded accounts like 'discovery' is a no-go imo, even with the security considerations.
>
> Ok. Have removed the hardcoded accounts.

Thanks. I'll try to review that before the next council meeting.

philipp