[Standards] deprecating in-band registration

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Apr 2 03:01:40 UTC 2014

Several folks have commented on in-band registration (IBR, XEP-0077)
recently, wondering aloud whether we really want to recommend it for
things like registering devices in IoT environments.

I agree with the concerns that people have expressed. I suggest that we
push this line of thinking to its logical conclusion and strongly
consider deprecating and then obsoleting IBR. Perhaps - perhaps! - IBR
was appropriate in 1999 when we were trying to encourage people to
easily try out this new technology called Jabber. Those days are long gone.

If we feel that we'd like to have some kind of method for account
provisioning over XMPP - and I'm not convinced that we do - then I feel
that we need to rethink the whole problem, not reuse something that is
fundamentally flawed.