[Standards] server IP check (XEP-0279)

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Sat Apr 19 09:54:12 UTC 2014

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 12:52:18 +0400
Evgeny Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sat, 19 Apr 2014 02:14:19 -0400
> "Genghis Khan" <genghiskhan at gmx.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 09:19:36 +0400
> > Evgeny Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > There is trivial mod_sic module in ejabberd.
> > > However, I still vote to Reject the XEP for the reason I did that
> > > years ago.
> >
> > May you post a link to it?
> >

> No, I don't think I will find it.

Then write it down, again, if you may. I might incline to your opinion.

> > Subjected to a warning, I think this feature would be useful for
> > trusted peers by sharing each one's current IP address with an other
> > peer for the purpose of having a backup mean of communication, in
> > case an XMPP server is not functioning properly, though DHT is much
> > preferable for the reason I wrote above. See http://telehash.org/
> >
> > There is a Qt3 VoIP project called I Hear U which is a server-less
> > IP-to-IP telephone http://ihu.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > An interview by Francis Irving with Jeremie Miller about TeleHash:
> > http://redecentralize.org/interviews/2013/10/17/07-jeremie-telehash.html
>
> There is ICE for stuff like that. I wonder why guys still prefer to
> re-invent a wheel.
> [snap]
> Also, totally irrelevant to XMPP.

Well, I guessed I would receive a respond of such, thus I have chose to
post this off-topic information and links.

> Telehash looks like yet another countless P2P network and NIH.

I do not want to stray the subject; I think a DHT based Messenger
program is going to be the best and the most independent solution for
many people, since, unlike XMPP which either needs a constant IP or DNS
for server, the only constant thing Telehash needs is DHT, anything
else can be dynamic and managed by clients, though I do not believe
Telehash could be used as an exclusive mean of communication.

Completely off topic (this may provoke your thought)
On that note, some have discussed, within the idea of DNS-P2P, about a
dhttp:// (DHT + HTTP) protocol, which is actually built upon a regular
torrent which is a directory with web page content, and web browsers
that support dhttp:// (there are no such yet) are targeting index.html
file, alternatively, some suggested just to share ePub files, instead.