[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Client State Indication

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 10:30:18 UTC 2014

Hi Sergey,

On 19 August 2014 08:34, Sergey Dobrov <binary at jrudevels.org> wrote:
> nice one! but should not we also advice on how exactly should servers
> use such an information? for example, if user is inactive, he still may
> want to receive new messages but in order to reduce battery consumption
> on mobiles, we would want to batch the notifications and send them
> periodically by portions to reduce number of waking up of the radio
> module of the mobile device.
>
> From the other side, that may be unnecessary to other types of devices,
> so may be some profiles may be useful? Or we could rely on service
> discovery identity categories may be...

There are so many different approaches and optimisations (as you just
demonstrated in your message!). I don't feel this XEP is the right
place to document them, I think there is a lot of room for
experimentation. I want to leave implementations up to server
developers, deployments and (if the server allows it) client and user
preference. If good ones are found, they can be documented in separate
XEPs if necessary (and reference CSI).

This XEP is just about giving the server more information about when
it would be more appropriate to apply some kinds of optimisation.

Regards,
Matthew