[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Client State Indication

Evgeny Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 18:30:18 UTC 2014

Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:21:42 -0700
Kurt Zeilenga <kurt.zeilenga at isode.com> wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2014, at 10:05 AM, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 19 August 2014 17:21, Evgeny Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:30:18 +0100
> >> Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You can implement as many finite state machines as you like. But
> > this is not the XEP for that, this is just to turn them on/off.
> > Let's keep it simple for once, folks :)
>
> I have to agree with Matthew.  What this XEP offers is, by itself,
> useful.  Yes, it quite simplistic, leaving the choice of how to
> optimize to the server.  This is useful by itself.
>
> I personally rather not go down the rathole of 'exact finite state
> machines'... or 'profiles'.  But, hey, if that's what you want, you
> can write a XEP just as well as anyone else.

Seems like you don't get me. What we really need is to throttle
presences when the client is in 'inactive' state. I don't think there
are multiple ways in doing this.
I, as an XMPP server developer, want to take well described FSM and
implement it.
Again, as an XMPP server developer I don't know what to do with client
inactivity. It's pointless for me.