[Standards] Disco conflict between 30 and 163

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Aug 26 18:42:24 UTC 2014

simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> wrote:

> > On 26/08/14 15:10, Kevin Smith wrote:
> >> 30 says not to reply with disco to entities not authorised for your
presence.

> > Should the server follow this pseudocode for a disco instead?
> >
> >    if target JID is bare:
> >        # any IQ to user at host is expected to be replied to by the server
> >        reply to it on the user's behalf, describing features of the
> >        server and the account (but nothing about the logged-in
> >        resources on that account, if any)
>
> JID existence leak.

Certainly is. But if we're to block all possible jid existence leaks,
everything breaks anyway.

behave differently to sending one to kurt.zeilenga at isode.com (here I'm
assuming your email address is the same as your jid of course).

Sending you a message versus sending a non-existent jid a message will also
typically behave differently.

These are, in general, desirable effects from a UX standpoint. The downside
is that one can use them to harvest real jids for abuse and other nefarious
purposes. However, it's not specific to Disco, and we should be careful of
being distinctly uneven in our protection here.

As such, my gut feeling is that this one case of jid existence leaking
isn't worth worrying ourselves over.