[Standards] New feature proposal for XEP-0313: result limiting per JID

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 10:26:26 UTC 2014

Hi Piotr,

On 27 August 2014 10:33, Piotr Nosek <piotr.nosek at erlang-solutions.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have encountered a requirement quite frequently, that client should be able not only to fetch all messages from MAM or messages for specific conversation, but also get a list of conversations (both 1-1 and MUC) that have any messages after certain timestamp + last message for each conversation to display in UI.
>
> Me and colleagues had a discussion on this issue and we think XEP-0313 could use a new parameter for queries, that will tell the server to return only N last messages for every conversation (i.e. remote JID). Example:

I agree, this has come up before and is definitely a good use-case.

However I am hesitant to add this feature to XEP-0313 itself, as I
want to keep that to the bare minimum requirements. The last update
switched to data forms specifically to make it easier to add
additional extensions such as the one you propose.

Given this goal, I think the best approach would be to submit this
feature as a new XEP.

Regards,
Matthew