[Standards] New feature proposal for XEP-0313: result limiting per JID

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 10:41:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Piotr Nosek
<piotr.nosek at erlang-solutions.com> wrote:
> I have encountered a requirement quite frequently, that client should be able not only to fetch all messages from MAM or messages for specific conversation, but also get a list of conversations (both 1-1 and MUC) that have any messages after certain timestamp + last message for each conversation to display in UI.

I think the requirement is valid.

> Me and colleagues had a discussion on this issue and we think XEP-0313 could use a new parameter for queries, that will tell the server to return only N last messages for every conversation (i.e. remote JID). Example:

This would certainly work (although whether to include it in 313
itself is another matter), but is it the best thing to do? It's not
clear to me whether returning messages to determine if any exist is
the best, or another query type to fetch all the active JIDs in the
last X long.

/K