[Standards] New feature proposal for XEP-0313: result limiting per JID

Stefan Strigler stefan.strigler at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 10:49:16 UTC 2014

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Piotr Nosek
> <piotr.nosek at erlang-solutions.com> wrote:
>

> Me and colleagues had a discussion on this issue and we think XEP-0313
> could use a new parameter for queries, that will tell the server to return
> only N last messages for every conversation (i.e. remote JID). Example:
>
> This would certainly work (although whether to include it in 313
> itself is another matter), but is it the best thing to do? It's not
> clear to me whether returning messages to determine if any exist is
> the best, or another query type to fetch all the active JIDs in the
> last X long.

Yes, of course this would also make sense but it would be a totally
different kind of query (and result). And also a typical use case would be
to display a 'preview' of the conversation which would then result in an
additional query. Overall making the lives esp for client developers more
work. But I'm not totally against the extra query approach either.