[Standards] XEP-0280: carbons + <message/> stanzas of type normal

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Thu Aug 28 16:10:45 UTC 2014

[...]
>> 1) can we change 0280 to also allow this type of processing for
> messages of type normal? prosodys mod_carbons seems to do this anyway.
>>
> I think that's reasonable, but I would still argue against any other
> <message/> types.

Right. For groupchat and error the change from the behaviour defined in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6121#section-8.5.2.1.1
would be significant.

Doing this for headlines might work, but I don't see the usecase for
combining pubsub with carbons... and making changes without need... no.

>> 2) is there a chance of extending carbons in a way such that a resource might selectively
> enable carbons just for normal messages? E.g. by including children in
> the <enable/> element that specify the desired types?
> I am hesitant to add more than a simple on/off switch here.  You could
> pretty easily ignore <message type='chat'/>, but I am cognizant that
> traffic is still delivered; for a mobile device, that often means
> powering up the second most power-hungry component just to receive
> something unwanted.
>
> My initial thought is turning off "chat" seems like a more global thing
> to do, instead of spreading the logic around in a "bunch" of other
> protocols.  It seems like this fits better in [SIFT] -- it doesn't
> today, but maybe it ought to.

Point, that's a separate concern actually.

thanks!