[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0319 (Last User Interaction in Presence)

Christian Schudt christian.schudt at gmx.de
Wed Dec 3 19:17:16 UTC 2014

Hi,

here’s my feedback for it.

> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol stack or to clarify an existing protocol?

No. In my opinion, XEP-0256: Last Activity in Presence already covers everything, which is needed for this use case.
XEP-0012 also says something about idle time:

"If the user's server delivers the IQ-get to one of the user's available resources, the user's client MAY respond with the idle time of the user (i.e., the last time that a human user interacted with the client application)."

XEP-0256 just transports this idle time via presence.

Having absolute time in XEP-0319 (as opposed to relative time in XEP-0256) should not legitimate an extra XEP.
Developers would need to implement both anyway, (if they want to have a good software) and libraries would probably need an abstraction layer, which takes care of both XEPs.

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction and requirements?

Yes.

> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not, why not?

Only if it becomes draft status.

No.

Yes. Although „set in stone“ might sound a little bit colloquial? Maybe it also could have a note about „xa“ presence.

— Christian