[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0319 (Last User Interaction in Presence)

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed Dec 3 22:39:39 UTC 2014

On 03.12.2014 19:16, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on XEP-0319 (Last User Interaction in Presence).
>
> Abstract: This specification defines a way to communicate time of last user interaction with her system using XMPP presence notifications.

> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on 2014-12-17.
>
> Please consider the following questions during this Last Call and send your feedback to the standards at xmpp.org discussion list:
>
> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol stack or to clarify an existing protocol?

Christian and Tobias already gave good pro and contra arguments. It
comes down to: Does the usage of absolute timestamps justify a new XEP?
I don't have any practical experience regarding this, but my intuition
says: Yes it does.

(It appears to me that absolute timestamps should have been used in
XEP-12 from the start.)

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction and requirements?

Yes

> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not, why not?

Yes. Even it means abstracting XEP-256 and XEP-319 in the (client)
library, which I usually try to avoid. But it's not possible when there
are two XEPs used in the wild, that try to solve the same problem.

None other than those mention in the XEP.

It would be nice if there was a section explaining the motivation for
this XEP. Readers may wonder what why it's required since we have XEP-256.

- Florian