[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0319 (Last User Interaction in Presence)

Tobias Markmann tmarkmann at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 4 08:14:57 UTC 2014

On 04.12.2014, at 00:14, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:

> BTW was it ever discussed to *simply* extend XEP-12 (and thus XEP-256)
> with an (optional) 'timestamp' attribute that contains an absolute time
> value?

Back then I thought a little about it. But since XEP-0012 has a semantic overload which complicates further correct handling in client implementations. Receiving <query xmlns='jabber:iq:last' seconds='903’/> can mean either the user went idle $TIME_STANZA_SENT - 903 seconds or user went offline at that point. You can’t know it solely based on this stanza. You’d require further presence information to resolve the semantic overload.

Furthermore the XEP-0012 data alone has little value for a UI/UX. It in response to an IQ, it requires presence information to know what it means (idle or went offline). Received via presence it request delayed delivery information to know the actual idle time.

Overall XEP-0012 aims to be a extremely general solution which complicates construction useful information for display to users from it.

Cheers,
Tobias