[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0319 (Last User Interaction in Presence)

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Fri Dec 5 08:49:39 UTC 2014

On 03.12.2014 19:16, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on XEP-0319 (Last User Interaction in Presence).
>
> Abstract: This specification defines a way to communicate time of last user interaction with her system using XMPP presence notifications.

After discussing this topic with Tobias a bit, the situation appears to
be as follows (@Tobi/others: correct me if I'm wrong):

XEP-256 allows to announce "idle since" time, but only when the show
type is 'away' or 'xa'. It further allows you announce when the user
went offline before the current session ("was last online at").

XEP-319 allows to announce "idle since" time (for every type of show),
but does not provide information when the user went offline before.

Of course, as of the time writing this, XEP-256 uses relative time
information whereas XEP-319 uses absolute timestamps.

I don't see a good reason why it shouldn't be possible to announce "idle
since" time even when show is not away/xa. OTOH XEP-256 provides a bit
more information ("was last online at") and could be easily fixed by
adding the optional 'timestamp' attribute.

I think we should author a third XEP that addresses all those issues.
                                         (just kidding)

Right now, I personally slightly favor the "add additional timestamp
attribute" approach. But would be happy to hear some more voices
regarding this.

I also support Christian's argument, that you *can* distinghuish XEP-256
information semantics based solely on the presence stanza. It simply
depends on the 'show' value.

- Florian