[Standards] Blocking command and Privacy Lists

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Mon Dec 22 01:19:03 UTC 2014

Hi all,

XEP-0191 (Blocking command) specifies that once a contact is blocked, no
stanzas are delivered from them to the user:

> Once the user has blocked communications with the contact, the
> user's server MUST NOT deliver any XML stanzas from the contact to
> the user. The block remains in force until the user subsequently
> unblocks commmunications with the contact (i.e., the duration of the
> block is potentially unlimited and applies across sessions).

However, Gajim (and possibly other clients that use privacy lists) seems
to block everything but presence information.

From a user perspective, this seems like the expected behavior (I block
someone, they can't receive information about my presence or send me
messages, but I can still see their presence unless they block me).

Am I interpreting everything correctly, and if so, is this something
that would be considered for change? I'd like to propose that the line
from XEP-0191 be rewritten to read something like:

> Once the user has blocked communications with the contact, the
> user's server MUST NOT deliver any XML stanzas from the contact to
> the user except for presence stanzas. ...

Best,
Sam

--
Sam Whited