[Standards] Blocking command and Privacy Lists

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Dec 22 09:19:30 UTC 2014

On 22 December 2014 at 01:19, Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> XEP-0191 (Blocking command) specifies that once a contact is blocked, no
> stanzas are delivered from them to the user:
>
> > Once the user has blocked communications with the contact, the
> > user's server MUST NOT deliver any XML stanzas from the contact to
> > the user. The block remains in force until the user subsequently
> > unblocks commmunications with the contact (i.e., the duration of the
> > block is potentially unlimited and applies across sessions).
>
> However, Gajim (and possibly other clients that use privacy lists) seems
> to block everything but presence information.

Slightly confused by this. XEP-0191 is server-side enforced, so the
behaviour will be applied and controlled by the server, not the client.

> From a user perspective, this seems like the expected behavior (I block
> someone, they can't receive information about my presence or send me
> messages, but I can still see their presence unless they block me).
>
> Am I interpreting everything correctly, and if so, is this something
> that would be considered for change? I'd like to propose that the line
> from XEP-0191 be rewritten to read something like:
>
> > Once the user has blocked communications with the contact, the
> > user's server MUST NOT deliver any XML stanzas from the contact to
> > the user except for presence stanzas. ...

This would mean that probes still get sent, which seems inappropriate.

Otherwise we're in the slightly weird situation that we're predicating on
remote servers sending presence without a probe - this is quite possible,
but could lead to some very odd behaviour when this get out of sync. Also,
there's the RFC 3921 optimization; that reduces the presence to just
online/offline in some cases.

Dave.