[Standards] Blocking command and Privacy Lists

Kurt Zeilenga kurt.zeilenga at isode.com
Mon Dec 22 13:50:08 UTC 2014

> On Dec 22, 2014, at 5:31 AM, Kurt Zeilenga <kurt at isode.com> wrote:
>
> I think if anything in XEP 191 needs to change, it’s the discussion of how one maps XEP 191 onto XEP 4 privacy lists that should change.  It should be clearly stated that the blocking entity is required to perform the mapping in such a way that all communications with the blocked JID are blocked.

I would go a bit further… first, I would lift the MUST use a common backend statement and leave implementation details mostly to the implementor.  I would say something like:
	Where an implementation uses a common backend for Privacy Lists and Block Lists, the implementation MUST ensure that the blocking behaviors exposed to the user are consistent with the semantics of the particular request they used manage the information held in that backend as detailed in their respective specifications.   This statement in no way alters the specified semantics of the requests.

— Kurt