[Standards] BOSH patches, hopefully the last before final

Winfried Tilanus winfried at tilanus.com
Mon Feb 17 11:36:12 UTC 2014

On 11-02-14 13:54, Christian Schudt wrote:

Hi Christian,

Thanks for reviewing the patches and sorry for the delay in my response.

> 1. Session Creation Response:
> My suggestions concerning the 'from' attribute obv hasn't made it :-(.. Well, so be it.
> But I found this sentence:
> 'to' -- This attribute communicates the identity of the backend server to which the client is attempting to connect.
>
> Isn't it the same than the from attribute then?
> Shouldn't the 'to' attribute be the client's JID in the server's response?

Good question. Once again you are pointing to an issue where the history
of the BOSH XEPs resulted in something that is a bit strange when you
don't know the history. Remember that with the 'to' attribute the
connection manager tells the identity of the backend server it is
connecting to. The 'from' attribute 'MAY' be included once the
connection manager established a session with the backend server and
tells what identity the client has at the backend server. So they have a
slightly different meaning. Also note that that backend server does not
have to be a XMPP server.

This has historically to do with the split of BOSH into two XEPs:
generic BOSH (XEP-0124) and XMPP over BOSH (XEP-0206). Looking backward
that was quite useless and even a bit confusing. But we are right now at
the point where merging them again would only do more harm.

> 2. Terminating the BOSH Session
> Why did you remove the "<body/>" from this sentence:
>
> "... terminate the session by sending a <body/> element with a 'type' attribute..."
> ?

Good catch, it is in the XML source, but I forgot escaping the brackets.

Winfried