[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0345 (Form of Membership Applications)

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Wed Jul 23 20:35:45 UTC 2014

Let's see how pedantic this really gets ...

your feedback to the standards at xmpp.org discussion list:

> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol
stack or to clarify an existing protocol?
I do think this specification fills gaps in the XMPP protocol (of
membership).

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction
and requirements?
I believe it mostly does, but have a nit (see below).

> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not,
why not?
I do plan to implement this specification in my code (of conduct).
I am concerned about the implication that an applicant could lie,
although I am not sure what actions ought to be undertaken.  I do think
it is worth spelling out that it is possible for an applicant to lie,
and that members SHOULD be aware of this in evaluating applications.

This document does describe code (of conduct) with defined success cases
and error handling.  As such, I find it a little odd that it does not
use normative MUST/SHOULD/SHALL/MAY/SHOULD NOT/MUST NOTs.  I think that
if we wish to hold our code (of conduct) to a high level of
interoperability, we ought to be more explicit about that.

- --
- - m&m

Matthew A. Miller
< http://goo.gl/LK55L >