[Standards] RFC: XEP-0045 MUC should not rewrite message IDs

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Fri Jul 25 17:08:57 UTC 2014

Am 25.07.2014 um 09:22 schrieb Kevin Smith:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Georg Lukas <georg at op-co.de> wrote:
>> XEP-0045, section 7.4 <http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#message>
>> states:
>>
>> "Note well that for tracking purposes this service assigns a new 'id' to
>> each message it generates (here using a UUID as defined in RFC 4122 [18])."
>>
>> I suggest changing that line to:
>>
>> "The service SHOULD reflect the message with the same 'id' that was
>> generated by the client. If the client did not provide an 'id', the
>> server SHOULD generate one 'id' and use it for all reflections of the
>> same message (e.g. using a UUID as defined in RFC 4122 [18])."
>
> I agree with the intention, but I think making a breaking change to
> xep45 at this point wouldn't be appropriate.

Well, this is not using normative language, just giving a rationale
(which is better than any SHOULD without a rationale at least).

However, I don't understand what the service gains by tracking ids here.
It can never "forget" the generated id unless there is an error which
seems prohibitive.

If a service does track (somehow) and needs to avoid id collisions
between clients, it should probably take the id supplied by the client
into account, so it generates the same id for two messages with the same
id from the same client.