[Standards] XEP 0045 - Query on MUC room reconfiguration

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Mar 5 01:33:02 UTC 2014

On 3/4/14, 3:03 PM, priya v wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to understand reconfiguration of Multi-User Chat rooms. In
> particular, I was looking for the case where a public room is converted
> to a password-protected room. I didn't find information in the spec
> talking about this case. Please let me know how the client and server
> should behave in this scenario.

In my experience, most people use members-only rooms instead of
password-protected rooms. You could handle that case in a similar way,
i.e., make it password-protected, kick everyone out, and force them to
rejoin. If they don't know the password, they can't get in. I realize
that's a bit harsh, though...