[Standards] XEP-0045 to Final?

Ralph Meijer ralphm at ik.nu
Wed Mar 5 10:46:15 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-05 11:16, Christian Schudt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> could you elaborate on this proposal a little bit, please?

Agreed. I'm a more of a fan of publish-subscribe than the next guy, but
I don't see how this is a helpful suggestion without elaboration.

Going back to the original question, I don't think that service
discovery on room items (usually occupants) is restricted to occupants.
A service may also answer this for registered members.

However, I do see that section 6.6 (Querying a Room Occupant) is rather
short. In any case, querying an occupant would pass the query to the
real JID, and I'm not sure if you could actually discover the real JID
itself that way. The MUST for non-occupants seems excessive, and I don't
see why you shouldn't be able to do service discover as a non-occupant
member, admin, or owner.

> It would be so much easier to just allow 7.11 Getting the Memberlist also for the Entity Use Cases, so that an entity could just query a room for it's members (without having joined the room):

Agreed. Reading the text there, I think MUC servers MAY actually support
that. It doesn't explicitly limit it to occupants or admins.

--
ralphm