[Standards] XEP-0045 to Final?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Mar 5 11:31:34 UTC 2014

On 3/5/14, 11:25 AM, Christian Schudt wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Could you elaborate a bit on the use case and the need for it? I'm not
>> saying it's bad or irrelevant, but XEP-0045 was not designed to solve
>> every possible problem related to groupchat.
>
> A user creates a (members-only) room and adds X contacts from his roster as member and invites them.
> Then the invitee receives the invitation and wants to know "who is part of the room" without the need to join the room. Because an invitee might want to decline an invitation if he thinks "oh, user XY is also in the room... no, then I don't want to join". This is the requirement of my boss/product owner, not mine :-).
>
> I need this "membership"-thing because a member/occupant shall see, who COULD be in the room, even if a member is offline. It's similar to Skype's group chat functionality if you are familiar with it.
> So, if I join a room I want to see all members/owners, even if they are offline. This works already with the current spec (7.11 Getting the Member List)
>
> The problem is, that 7.11 is restricted to occupants. I understand "occupants" as those who are currently online and IN the room.
>
> And "6.5 Querying for Room Items" only covers the case for occupants, so the disco query doesn't return members (which might be offline).
> It even says: "this means that they cannot possess 'affiliation' or 'role' attributes, for example."

Ah, I see, you need the list of members, not the list of occupants.

Yes, it seems possible that you could modify an implementation to allow
non-occupant members to perform this query. We might even possibly want
to add a note about this to the spec.

> @top-posting: Sorry, my webmail interface (GMX) does not allow for those ">" quotes (afaik). I did it manually now.

Actually your mail message looks good to me.

Thanks for adjusting your behavior. :-)